Some basic mechanic skills and tools will be needed but if you are handy type of person it should not be a difficult job.
It does require pulling the transmission pan bolts, draining the fluid, and sealing it back up with new fluid.
If in-doubt be sure to call a professional.
Most all 2008-2012 Toyota Corollas have a 1.8 Liter engine which is what is used in the steps below.
Be sure to verify your engine type with the letter 1.8 L on top of the engine.
- 10mm Allen Wrench
- 10mm Socket
- Drain Bucket
- Funnel for Adding Fluid
Some basic tool will be needed mainly a 10mm socket to remove the pan and filter.
A drain bucket will also be needed for the fluid to drain into.
A funnel will be needed to add new fluid in since it is added into the small transmission dip stick hole.
- Transmission Fluid
- Transmission Filter
- Transmission Pan Gasket
A new filter, gasket, and transmission fluid will be needed.
4 quarts of Toyota transmission fluid will be needed.
A filter and gasket will also be needed.
How To Change the Transmission Filter 2008-2012 Toyota Corolla
- Jack the car up, be sure it is secured on stands and get a drain bucket ready.
- Locate the drain plug at the back of the Pan and use the 10mm Allen Wrench to remove it.
- Let the fluid drain into the bucket.
- Once it is drained, the pan 10mm bolts are ready to be removed.
- A plastic guard may need to be removed to get to the front bolts.
- When removing there will still be fluid in the pan. Take it off at an angle to let the rest of the fluid drip out.
- Once the pan is off the filter is ready to be replaced. It is held in by two 10mm bolts.
- Remove the two 10mm bolts and pull the filter out.
- Place the O-ring on the new filter.
- Insert the new filter into place.
- Bolt the filter into place.
- Clean the pan.
- Put the gasket on the pan and use the bolts to hold it in place.
- Put the pan back on and snug the bolts on so there finger tight.
- Use the 10 mm socket to tighten them. Be sure not to over-tighten the bolts which if tightened too much will leak.
- Once everything is bolted into place fluid is ready to be added. The Fluid is added into the dip stick next to the battery.
- The manual calls for 3.2 Quarts of fluid to be added. It would be best to add it in slowly and check the level as to not overfill it.